arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VPS 9 (Atlanta) - Problem with Remote Desktop Connection
Hello,

I'm running into errors with my VPS 9 while trying to RDP. I installed XRDP and TigerVNC and proceeded with the installation of XFCE desktop environment. However, here's the strange thing that's happening. I am able to get the XRDP login screen and after a successful login, I am just getting a black screen and the session disconnects.

I googled a few articles on the web and a few bug fixes ask us to comment out the line `channel_code=1` in `/etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini` however, to my dismay there's no such line in the config file.

As a side note, the last time GNOME did work as a desktop environment on my VPS. This time I installed XFCE as it is lighter than GNOME, which was hogging resources on my VPS the last time. After the latest OS installation, I'm facing this problem, dunno if it's related to XFCE particularly. BTW SELinux is disabled on my VPS.

Hope y'all are able to help me. Smile

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
i guess you followed some tutorial. please mention that with link and also mention your operating system.

Your should plan it before you make a post requesting support. Those are necessary basic information one should think of providing.

and don't forget the logs.

Also what are steps, if any, you took while trying to troubleshoot this issue ?
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(04-01-2020, 04:15 PM)rudra Wrote: i guess you followed some tutorial. please mention that with link and also mention your operating system.

Your should plan it before you make a post requesting support. Those are necessary basic information one should think of providing.

and don't forget the logs.

Also what are steps, if any, you took while trying to troubleshoot this issue ?

His VPS runs on centos 7 (I know that because I constantly chat with him).

@sohamb03 I’m curious as to what you’d use a desktop environment running on a VPS for. I’ve seen it done before but it didn’t really run that well (on Bengy’s HelioHost VPS to be exact). Which makes sense considering that VPSs aren’t really made for such a thing. I’m not blaming you or being negative or any of that, I’m just curious as to what you’re using it for.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
Ah yeah, I'd missed out on a number of things while making this support request. Sorry for that, I'd been hurrying for my classes at that time. Tongue

As @ikk157 said, my VPS runs CentOS 7.

Indeed I followed a tutorial which is this - https://hostpresto.com/community/tutoria...tos-7-vps/

The same tutorial worked perfectly fine last time for GNOME and hence, I'm sensing if it has something to do with XFCE in particular.

As for the error logs, yeah I did forget to mention in the OP, but there isn't anything in the error logs, which makes it even more creepy (unlike the various troubleshooting options on the web, where there's a bunch of stuff in the error log).

[root@sohamb03 ~]# ls -a                                          .                cyberpanel          sohamb03.ovpn
..               .dbus               .ssh
.acme.sh         ffmpeg_build        .tcshrc
anaconda-ks.cfg  ffmpeg_sources      thinclient_drives
.bash_history    .local              trtl
.bash_logout     node_modules        upgrade.py
.bash_profile    .npm                .vnc
.bashrc          openvpn-install.sh  whiteboard
bench.log        .pearrc             wsgi-lsapi-1.5
bench.sh         .pki                wsgi-lsapi-1.5.tgz
bin              .python_history     .Xauthority
.cache           requirements.txt    .xsession-errors
.config          requirments.txt
.cshrc           .rnd
[root@sohamb03 ~]# cat .xsession-errors                           [root@sohamb03 ~]# cat .Xauthority
[root@sohamb03 ~]#

As for the troubleshooting done myself, I did mention that I did see a few fixes, which suggest commenting out the line `channel_code=1`. However, that's missing in my config file, hence not a possible fix for me.

@ikk157 Besides web developing, I'm also learning to develop GUI applications in Python. Sadly, my Dad's office blocks Installation of every software on our PC as he works from home (not for Corona outbreak, he's home-based) and so I can't install any of my stuff there. And that's the reason. Smile I know desktop environment isn't necessarily meant for a VPS, but XFCE being extremely light weight should be good. Doesn't hog resources like GNOME.

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Why don't you use vnc and do the steps of hidden's tutorial?
Link: https://post4vps.com/Thread-CentOS-7-with-XFCE-VNC
Well, that's alright, maybe I'll use later, but as of now, I'm more interested in knowing why this isn't working. Smile

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

The issue has been solved. I will publish guides for CentOS 7/8 + XFCE with XRDP soon.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Just to follow up, this issue has been fixed by @"Hidden Refuge". I'm posting the fix on his behalf, for anyone who might face a similar problem in the future. All credits to him for fixing this issue. Big Grin

As he pointed out, the configuration to tell XRDP what's to be done after a successful connection wasn't there. The fix is as simple as below.

echo "xfce4-session" > ~/.Xclients
chmod a+x ~/.Xclients

And then it works.

@deanhills, you can close this thread now. Smile

EDIT : Didn't realize both of us were posting at the same time, but nevermind. Tongue

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

The guide for the latest CentOS versions is now available: https://post4vps.com/Thread-CentOS-7-8-with-XFCE-XRDP
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
lockThread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
10-14-2019, 01:31 PM
Last Post: hamed
09-13-2019, 03:19 AM
Last Post: deanhills
07-28-2019, 03:51 AM
Last Post: deanhills

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting