arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new smart phone with a open-source OS? Librem 5?
(08-26-2019, 06:43 AM)rudra Wrote: @deanhills
i am following their progress for a while now. They aim to make it all transparent and open. But did you check their prices ? I can't even think of touching one. Ouch.
Aha, great you've been following them. The message is probably just your kind of message. Yes I did notice the high price, and yes that was a big ouch for me too.  I'll never be able to afford it.  Even if I could afford it, I'd have to find really good arguments for justifying the expense.  Like for a company to go against the big behemoths in the market, they'd have to have a very solid philosophy with lots of integrity to back it up with, and not just a marketing message that sounds good to the masses.

(08-26-2019, 06:43 AM)rudra Wrote: That company is engaged in reverse engineering those closed systems and writing code that functions same way. to avoid lawsuits. That is very costly. Also it will neither keep up with latest developments in hardware nor with software/firmware patches.

I just wish a company made a line of hardwares totally open. But the unfortunate reality is the huge amount of intellectual property / patents is owned by a few big chip makers. you can count them on one hand. they are behemoths and behemoths hardly ever brought on disruptive tech. Our only hope is someone like elon mask comes along and does that. like hugo bara did by setting up xiaomi for affordable electronics market.
You're right about this.  And even if they would make a little progress (which I doubt in retrospect), they'd probably be bought out to silence them by one of the big corporations.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
10-26-2019, 07:26 AM
Last Post: rudra

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting