arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chrome's "Ram Hogger" status might change
Sources: https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/sci...-Microsoft
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/internet/...oblem.html

So recently Microsoft has revealed that It has been experimenting with a new technique called "Segment Heap" which has been introduced in the latest Windows update of May 2020. According to Microsoft, this can result in upto 27% reduction in RAM Usage however performance will ofcourse vary from device to device. (Performance improvement should be most notable in low ram equipped machines.)

So how does this help Chrome?

Well, Chrome will ofcourse be able to utilize this technique to improve its performance, however I personally think alot of other browsers that are made on Chromium (Such as Brave) may also make some use from this technique. Microsoft's new Edge browser has already been equipped with this technique.

I think this is very good news for the Chrome users as we all are aware of its famous ram hogging capabilities, and personally this was the reason I switched from Chrome to Firefox.

Let me know what you guys think Big Grin
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Microsoft Egde is just a fork of Chromium open source project, just like Chrome. Due to license stuff, every modification must be open source too, so it is likely probable that Google will just merge the changes done by Microsoft.
There aren't much optimization that could be applied to Edge only, I mean Microsoft should do some specific Windows 10 trickry but it is unlikeable such solution.

Microsoft is now a open-source friend, there isn't any race to the best software. Right now Chrome and Edge are doing a ads battle, with both parties trying to get the user install their own.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
(06-23-2020, 01:32 PM)LightDestory Wrote: Microsoft Egde is just a fork of Chromium open source project, just like Chrome. Due to license stuff, every modification must be open source too, so it is likely probable that Google will just merge the changes done by Microsoft.
There aren't much optimization that could be applied to Edge only, I mean Microsoft should do some specific Windows 10 trickry but it is unlikeable such solution.

Microsoft is now a open-source friend, there isn't any race to the best software. Right now Chrome and Edge are doing a ads battle, with both parties trying to get the user install their own.

While you may be right, I still find it a bit ironic that Chrome that has been famous for its ram usage couldn't find a solution themselves and instead has to resort to a use a technique used by a rival browser. xD
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
(06-23-2020, 01:32 PM)LightDestory Wrote: Microsoft Egde is just a fork of Chromium open source project, just like Chrome. Due to license stuff, every modification must be open source too, so it is likely probable that Google will just merge the changes done by Microsoft.

no . they arent ,. they are trying to extinguish the open source project or the competition like what they did with netscape and creating new standard like activex . and now what they did? they create WSL with directx and only wsl can use it no real linux can run it and it isnt open source .
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
(06-24-2020, 04:49 PM)humanpuff69 Wrote: no . they arent ,. they are trying to extinguish the open source project or the competition like what they did with netscape and creating new standard like activex . and now what they did? they create WSL with directx and only wsl can use it no real linux can run it and it isnt open source .

I think you should read more before posting accusations. The WSL system, with its most recent version 2, it is just a native linux virtual machine that works around Windows' native virtualization system called "hyper-v", WSL distros are untouched/original Linux stuff, no modificaiton has been done, just some tweak kernel flags. Nothing essential, you can actually compile and use next-branch of linux-kernel repository.
The latest directx released it is called "12 Ultimate" and it is supported by nvidia just recently with beta versions of their own drivers.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
Well i realized that Firefox is a bigger ram hogger than chrome. I mean i use Microsoft Edge and it uses much less ram than Chrome or Firefox. Brave and Opera are also light on ram too
the latest bout of ram hogging is from tab level site specific isolation, i think. it is not mismanaged memory and memory leaks.

this is for your own good. so i dont complain. i use ungoogled chromium on desktop and bromite on android. they are kind of the most hardened chrome versions on their respective platforms.

now i think i need to read up on what yis new trick is all about and how it can reduce ram usgae ... hopefully it is without memory page sharing. cause that is all we were tying to avoid by isolation.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
Really hope they change this. I may switch back to Chrome then.
That would be a awesome change since I got 4gb ram in laptop but System and chrome using 80% of its ram and causing random hangs I would see to it but now I am also planning to upgrade my system which may solve my problem but it would be a golden change for those people whom are using low end PCs.
Yeah, I can agree that Chrome's ram usage are quite high. Especially when playing the browser games or when using it to launch online games, my system's ram usage goes up to around 68%. Hope this update makes the chrome use less memory than before thus improving user experience.
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
04-29-2021, 01:28 PM
Last Post: LightDestory
04-18-2020, 01:48 PM
Last Post: fChk
01-01-2020, 05:13 AM
Last Post: fChk

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting