arrow_upward

Pages (4):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VPS 9 - Scheduled Upgrade - Rest locations
(11-19-2019, 12:30 PM)ikk157 Wrote: My VPS 9, which i got already running the upgraded KVM technology, also shows the storage as 99GB. So that seems to be a commonly thing. Not a big deal to be honest! It’s still a hell of a lot of storage!

Thanks for letting me know that I am not only the only member getting the disk size of 99 GB.

I am still curious why it is 99 GB though. It just does not seem to be normal. And I do not see any other partition with 1 GB size in my VPS.

(11-21-2019, 06:39 AM)tryp4vps Wrote: Thanks for letting me know that I am not only the only member getting the disk size of 99 GB.

I am still curious why it is 99 GB though. It just does not seem to be normal. And I do not see any other partition with 1 GB size in my VPS.

I am not very sure. It could be the same exact reason why when you let’s say buy a 32GB flash drive, you don’t actually get a full 32GB of usable storage. Same might be happening here with VPS9 showing 99GB of usable space, versus the full 100GB.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
(11-21-2019, 09:50 AM)ikk157 Wrote: I am not very sure. It could be the same exact reason why when you let’s say buy a 32GB flash drive, you don’t actually get a full 32GB of usable storage. Same might be happening here with VPS9 showing 99GB of usable space, versus the full 100GB.

On linux it will show the full 100gb because linux use gigabyte instead of gibibyte for hdd size

Windows still use gibibyte for file size and that iswhy storage have smaller size
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
A proper filesystem like EXT4 on a proper virtualization technology such as KVM by default has a certain amount of its space (a few percent usually) reserved to prevent a total system breakdown when the actual partition runs out of space. This reserved space is deducated from usable space and therefore usually decreases the amount of total usable disk space.

See here for more information and ways to reduce the amount of reserved space: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ext...ved_blocks

1 GB less sounds like 1% reserved space has been set. Maybe it has been done automatically during the upgrade to KVM. The OpenVZ ploop filesystem basically emulates a real filesystem (compared to the older simfs) and also allows to reserve space. So maybe the amount of space that was reserved before has been left as is during the upgrade.

df -h should also help a little more. Usually the system creates some partitions that are automatically removed on shutdown and created again when booting. Some of them are created in RAM (tmpfs).
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
@'Hidden Refuge' thanks for the valuable information.

This is the result of 'df -h' for my VPS 9:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs           799M   19M  780M   3% /run
/dev/vda1        99G   67G   27G  72% /
tmpfs           3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

There is a tmpfs with size of 799M, which is mounted and used for the /run filesystem. Not very sure if it is related to the "1 GB less" issue though.

Please note that all VPS 9 VPSs are now on KVM. If any of our VPS 9 holders have issues, can you please open a support request in the VPS Support Forum.

Since the process has been completed am closing this thread for now.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Pages (4):
lockThread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
10-15-2019, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Dynamo

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting