arrow_upward

Pages (9): Jump to page 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Windows 10 Experince ?
(11-26-2020, 05:38 AM)Mashiro Wrote: As far as I'm aware installing any other antivirus product will disable the Windows Defender Antivirus component to prevent conflicts. Every well known and average (Avast, AVG, Avira and etc) antivirus should be enough. Not sure about obscure products like Dr. Web or some Chinese stuff. Rather stay away from those anyway.

Windows Defender will automatically turn off when a user installs a third-party solution. And when the user uninstalls it again, Windows Defender will turn back on again automatically. It's a core system feature not a the third-party capability.

Microsoft has always allowed power users to disable M$ defender via the system's registry by enabling(/or disabling in the reverse case) an entry called 'DisableAntiSpyware'. Once this option is set with value '1', the system turns off Windows Defender.

With Win 10 latest version that no longer applies except for Windows Servers. Read this M$ doc for more:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/windows...ntispyware

A side note though!.. Why would anyone want to disable M$ defender ?!!.. Native solutions are always the best whatever stuff third-parties vendors will tell you to convice you otherwise.

A system should always be lean and mean. Third-party solutions can have more options, best configs but always bloated.. So be Smart!..
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
Let's start saying that my adventure with Windows started with the amazing Windows ME when I wan like 5 or 6 years old.
Since that I have always used Windows: ME, XP, Vista, Seven (7), 8, 8.1, 10 and 10 Insider Preview.

My experience of Windows 10 is almost the same as the first time with Windows 7, an amazing operation system that is still developing into a better one. Windows 10 did a lot of changes that break sometime the backforward compatibility with specific software but... you can't get binded to a 10 year old software.

I run different PCs with different Windows 10 editions: my main laptop runs a Windows 10 Home (all the developing related feature as available here, I just miss docker BUT I can still use it under WSL2 and use native docker implementation... it is a win-win situation).

My old laptop runs Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview, I am an insider and I like to test out the new feature, you maybe don't know but Windows is going to get soon a Windows Explorer integration with WSL (Linux!).

Windows 10 embed-driver suite is amazing, just like Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1. Almost every old and "generic" piece of hardware is "plug" and "play" (it is a joke of word, not all the hardware is capable of hotplug, but I mean you don't need to search for a driver).
On the first release of Windows 10 there was a issue with Windows Update that automatically downloads and installs the driver but it has been resolved and now driver download is an optional task inside Windows Update.

Windows 10 loses against Windows 7 for only one aspect: the graphics, I mean Windows 10 fluent design is amazing but it is still incomplete, it is not applied system-wide but Microsoft is improving it release after release. Look at the new look and feel of the Start Menu of Windows 10 20H2 (Windows 10 version 2009). The compatibily with Fluent Design is related to the WDDM driver but the same problem occured also with Windows 7 Aero style.

So far I am good with Windows 10 because it is an amazing operation system, regarding multimedia usage it can play almost every format of file, something that Linux sometime misses due to codec issue (they are not GPL so they are often missing into the system). With the latest releases Windows 10 became a very good system for developer, WSL2 is an amazing feature that allow to use the best of Windows and the best of Linux without using a dual boot or a virtual machine (WSL2 is a virtual machine but its integration with Windows is amazing, I mean on your Virtualization software you need to setup manually the shared folders but WSL2 doesn't need it).
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
@fChk

Yes, I have mentioned 95% of what you just posted already in my posts before.

- https://post4vps.com/Thread-Your-Windows...9#pid39089
- https://post4vps.com/Thread-Your-Windows...2#pid39102
- https://post4vps.com/Thread-Your-Windows...0#pid39270

Anyway, it's still a bit sand disappointing. I really liked using no antivirus and giving away no performance. Yes, you do feel it even in a 6 Core / 12 Thread AMD Ryzen 3000 system with 32 GB of RAM and SSD only storage.

Of course in a business environment it doesn't matter much because we for example use another antivirus product than Windows Defender Antivirus. Mostly no private person will run Enterprise anyway. Mostly Home or Pro as no normal person has access to Enterprise or even LTSC versions. Windows Server even less.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(11-26-2020, 05:18 PM)Mashiro Wrote: Yes, you do feel it even in a 6 Core / 12 Thread AMD Ryzen 3000 system with 32 GB of RAM and SSD only storage.

I'm pretty sure it's the real-time protection feature that's responsible. You can disable it for awhile till it re-activates itself automatically.

As I've already said elsewhere, Win10 users are all guests on their own machines..

Yet another reason to go for a Desktop Linux -preferably Fedora, of course :-)
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(11-28-2020, 07:17 AM)fChk Wrote: As I've already said elsewhere, Win10 users are all guests on their own machines..

Yet another reason to go for a Desktop Linux -preferably Fedora, of course :-)
Hi @fChk This is where I am, except I feel like an anxious guest on my own computer. I have no trust in any updates. I also am concerned that my computer is not adequately protected not only from a security point of view but also a performance point of view for hardware and software updates. I'm moving too slow but Linux Desktop seems to be the common sense direction to take. And the more Microsoft shoots itself in the foot with its update chaos and dishonest Windows 10 marketing practices (involving hardware manufacturers), the more other users will be doing the same. Which is great news. Because that would mean more up to date sophisticated Linux Desktops and more quality tutorials for me.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Well, don't think Windows 10 work fast as it's expected in the older machine like mine. Especially those which still use HDD drives. I don't see any increase performance-wise. I feel the speed is pretty much like the time I had Windows 7. It started faster at the beginning but now it's the same. Also, It asks me to do updates on a very very regular basis, nearly something is there to update every day.

I had a problem with Wifi where the connection breaks and I have to run diagnostics which usually tell me something wrong with a default gateway. First I thought it something to do with Windows 10 but now I believe the fault is at my 4G provider.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(01-30-2021, 12:52 PM)xdude Wrote: Well, don't think Windows 10 work fast as it's expected in the older machine like mine. Especially those which still use HDD drives. I don't see any increase performance-wise. I feel the speed is pretty much like the time I had Windows 7. It started faster at the beginning but now it's the same. Also, It asks me to do updates on a very very regular basis, nearly something is there to update every day.

I had a problem with Wifi where the connection breaks and I have to run diagnostics which usually tell me something wrong with a default gateway. First I thought it something to do with Windows 10 but now I believe the fault is at my 4G provider.

Very true, my laptop is also an old HP with HDD, and Windows 10 sucks honestly. I won't complain performance wise, but these updates oof. Windows gets wild if you disable updates. I did it till Feb, at least till where it allowed. Next time I booted the machine it automatically started updating. I did hard reboots, but nothing helped it won't budge till the updates finish. 

I have a weird network problem too. It's so that first I boot my PC, I won't be able to access the internet no matter what I try. I always have to reboot once after first boot, and then the network works just fine, not sure what problem is this, I do see some MS forum threads relating to the same topic, but this issue is still hard to reproduce as it doesn't affect everyone, and there isn't a fix yet.
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(01-30-2021, 01:54 PM)sohamb03 Wrote: Very true, my laptop is also an old HP with HDD, and Windows 10 sucks honestly. I won't complain performance wise, but these updates oof. Windows gets wild if you disable updates. I did it till Feb, at least till where it allowed. Next time I booted the machine it automatically started updating. I did hard reboots, but nothing helped it won't budge till the updates finish. 

I have a weird network problem too. It's so that first I boot my PC, I won't be able to access the internet no matter what I try. I always have to reboot once after first boot, and then the network works just fine, not sure what problem is this, I do see some MS forum threads relating to the same topic, but this issue is still hard to reproduce as it doesn't affect everyone, and there isn't a fix yet.

You can hold updates for only up to 7 days I think. If you don't hold those to another 7th day on the 6th day Windows automatically do all updates. I think Microsoft trying to discourage people from trying to stop upgraded by that. It's real pain though. But I think Windows 10 shut down faster than Windows 7. xD At least that's something. Also, I think web browsers working better.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

Pages (9): Jump to page 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting