arrow_upward

Pages (9): Jump to page 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Windows 10 Experince ?
@xdude

rot is still there , more or less. Tongue

Soham is using a recent pentium.. may be g4440/g4560/g5400 or some such. these are like older 2 core 4 thread i3 processors. I think G4560 is like i3 7100 even. without AVX. Your i5 has power aplenty to pull it off without a hiccup.

I was against win 10 at first. But now I can say that it has come a long way from that. You use LTSB version and live without worry of all that update. Also you may set the download hours to fall within your offpeak hours. I mean if we can all live with systemctl, homectl, timedatectl and all the million other ctl in linux, then we surecaly can live with windows 10.

Win 10 is quite ok i say. I rather like it now even. Cause I have found many of its hidden settings and tricks, including the two settings panel. lol

8GB DDR3 is fine. go ahead and give it a try.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
So the good old rot is still there. Haha. @rudra , Have you reinstalled Windows 10 after installing it for first time ? if you have then for what reasons ?

Good Points though. Thank you. Well I will look more into Windows 10 LTSB. Plus I think before this year ends, I'm gonna upgrade RAM to 16GB and will get a SSD for OS. Maybe get a Better Processor and Motherboard too even thought I haven't had a problem with it yet. So I guess I don't need those.

I guess I will change to Windows 10 in 6 months but will install Windows 7 for now because I need some work projects to get down. I don't want to go through the learning curve or finding way to fix those upgrade problems etc.

Microsoft haven't started talking about any new OS yet have they ? I guess I would be installing Windows 10 sooner or later anyway.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

Nah. MS says they will keep updating this win10.

I don't think you even need another 8GB unless you get it at throwaway price (used ddr3 here is so cheap right now.).

I reinstall at the drop of a hat. Like I wanted to check some new partition config. so let us do it. What I am talking about is that after months of usage and software install and uninstall and all that, the system feels sluggish. even for win 10. I am talking about other people's computer. I would not know on mine. Because you know why. Tongue

I even installed win 10 on my VPS with dual boot from disk without any virtual dvd drive boot. Then installed Linux using iPXE from another vps and then got into this new Linux and transferred Virtio driver to windows partition and then went into windows and loaded it and I had dual boot with windows.

What I did then was use commands from ssh in linux to boot into windows auto without selecting in VNC and then get on win desktop using Chrome remote desktop on my android. Next I reboot and it comes back to Linux. Was fun.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(01-28-2020, 03:13 PM)xdude Wrote: How many of you use Windows 10 in your Desktops or Laptops ? What do you think of the system compared to Windows 7 ? mention if you are using 32 bit or 64bit version and how much RAM do you have.
I need to format my Desktop very soon. I'm still between which OS to choice, Windows 7 or Windows 10. I don't mind about the support so I probbly gonna use Windows 7 for another year or 6 months depending on how things work for me. So the support is not my problem.
My Setup has Core i5-3350 processor, 8GB DDR3 RAM So Im using Windows 7 64bit version. I had bit of trouble installing Python 64bit and configure it with visual Studio Code.Apart from that everything else worked fine. I'm going to test this Python setup again before I format the PC. If I can get it work Im going stay with Windows 7 till next format.
I heard mix stuff about Windows 10. Everyone agree this version loads faster and it takes more RAM than Windows 7 which would be normal. It seems not everyone like the new app Store things. I kind of like it.
I installed Win10 Pro within the next week M$ started releasing it for FREE. Of course, in my case, it was always meant to be a Win10 system on which I will run/test the latest technologies from M$. The setup was done a 32Bit Pentium 4 with 3GB DDR1 with No ISSUE.

Later on, I did install another 64Bit Win10-Pro on an i5-3470 CPU @3.20GHz with 12GB DDR3; also with no issue.

Resource-wise, Win10 is OK, but then it will depend on your type of usage. Configuration-wise, I would recommend using the Professional edition and the latest update (version 1909; see here).

Functionality-wise, it's a bloated upgrade of a win7 system with an untamed system update service (but it seems a lot more controllable in the latest versions.)

My problem with Win10 is that I've never felt in control of my PC whenever I logged into it. With all the Windows Store trash and the constant network activity (unrelated to the update process; just plain telemetry and system calling home kind of things) which need a lot of tweaking in the registry and GPO settings to somewhat curtail to a minimum.

Really not my kind of systems when considering that I've used Windows since Windows 3.11 back in 1994/1995. My solution was a complete switch to Linux, specifically Fedora, that I was using as a Server before becoming my desktop too.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(02-02-2020, 06:20 PM)fChk Wrote: I installed Win10 Pro within the next week M$ started releasing it for FREE.
I'm most curious to know how you managed to install Win10 PRO for free. I thought I'd have to pay for it, but if it is available for free, would be great if you could provide us a link. Big Grin
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
@deanhills I think he's talking about the time MS offered a free upgrade to Win 10 Pro for people already owning Win 7 licensed version.

I don't think it comes for free nowadays, I'm just buying a license this month due to aforesaid reasons. It's costing me ~$100. That's Windows 10 Professional.

The only ones which come for free are the pirated ones, and ... Lemme not dig deep into details. Wink

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(02-03-2020, 07:50 PM)deanhills Wrote: I'm most curious to know how you managed to install Win10 PRO for free. I thought I'd have to pay for it, but if it is available for free, would be great if you could provide us a link.  :D

That was on a nice afternoon of 28/07/2015 :-); I did report about the process on FFS forums back then...

At that time, M$ started encouraging people to upgrade to Win10 early on and in return they permanently activated their machine (ie, they assign a permanent Digital License to the PC in Microsoft Activation Servers), making it possible for a system to remain activated even if one reinstalls Win10 on it.

Thus, the 32Bit Win10-Pro I installed was a Windows 10-Pro(x86) Build 10240 and was done by upgrading from a 32Bit Windows 7 Ultimate. The activation was immediate.

However I think it's still possible to get Win10 activated for FREE by using your Windows 7 Key. It's the way I installed the 64Bit version of Win10-Pro (1809) last year, on a clean install. The key was asked for during the process, so you should have one ready to complete the install. You may use your Windows 7 key (if it did work for me last year, I don't think it won't this year.)

For the ISO, you can get one strait from M$ servers: here.

That's about it.

UPDATE:
I had to come back on this, because I wasn't so sure about that 'clean install' assertion. The fact is that, unlike the first one, the second install wasn't documented, so I was under that impression when I was writing this post. But it turns out that it was also an upgrade from a 64bit Win7 Ultimate that I've mounted on a bootable VHD on my i5-3470 system.

I simply hate to mislead people (even unintentionally) and this goes to show you how fragile human memory is. It's always a good idea to document things for future reference!

To sum up!.. Even though people believe that the 'free' upgrade offer is no longer valid, it's a good idea to test it first before giving M$$$ your hard-earned money. The sooner you upgrade the better the chances for this way to succeed, especially now that Win7 is no more!

Good luck!
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
I don't think it's completely free unless you get one license. Normally, the default unlicensed installation is free to try for 30 days.
I’ve used Windows 10 with two different laptops, one being mine and the other being a friend’s.

I have to say, my experience with it is not that great. It’s only been a source of problems.

For both laptops, I’ve noticed that they take 9 times longer to boot up compared to windows 8.1. That’s quite terrible!

They also tend to be significantly slower on everything with windows 10. And i mean EVERYTHING! From browsing to word editing to even navigating through folders/files.

And the forced updates tend to have become much more frequent. And I know for a fact that no one appreciates a forced update stopping you frok shutting down when you are in a hurry, pathetic!

My own laptop has 2GB of RAM with a single core intel atom CPU. My friend’s laptop has 8GB of ram with a Quad core i5.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
Well my first PC was build (on 2010) with Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Mother board (not sure about model), 2 GB ram, 250 GB HDD, Samsung DVD writer, with Acer 19" monitor which ran on Windows XP for almost 8 months and then moved to windows 10.

After using windows 7 for couple of years, i had a situation where i have to move to windows 8 and to be honest i am not a fan of windows 8 at all.

However, now my company gave me a kind of monster laptop loaded with Windows 10. Intel core i7-4600, 16GB ram, 64 bit os with touch screen.
As already said, Windows 10 is not a resource hog, during my work hours, i run below application simultaneously,
  • VS code
  • Spring Tool Suite
  • Postman
  • Node js (express server for node applications including angular universal)
  • Tomcat (for Java)
  • Github desktop
  • and few active powershell windows
not to mention, MS Teams and outlook are also part of it.

With all those applications running my CPU hardly fluctuates between 20% -24%, and ram usage is at 42%. i would say this is awesome performance for this hardware with windows 10 running all those applications.

Apart from these, some times i run Virtualbox with Ubuntu 18 for my docker environment testing with kubernetes. (not included in above usage percentage)

That's all now folks,,,
Pages (9): Jump to page 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting