arrow_upward

Pages (9): Jump to page 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Windows 10 Experince ?
AFAIK, there will be no other newer version than Windows 10. Microsoft will keep Windows 10 updated and if I'm not mistaken it will be the last version of Windows which will get updates for a long time, probably until Microsoft bored and move to another business strategy Tongue.

I have a Windows 10 with uninstalled bloatware in my system. 320GB HDD (which run in 3600rpm), 2GB RAM, Intel i3 Gen 2, Intel HD Graphics. Everything runs fine but not so smooth, of course. I cannot use Google Chrome as it consumes so much RAM and Windows doesn't want to give it, hahaha. I use their built-in browser which is Microsoft Edge, not so smooth considering it's old system but everything is OK. Actually I'm writing this in Debian, much smoother than the Windows (of course! Hahaha).
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
@afzalkhan

"How to spread fake news 101".

How can you even fall for this article? It's clickbait and fake all over it. It screams clickbait and fake with everything written and shown in it.

@tbelldesignco

And you are falling for it, too? Wow.

@deanhills

Not sure if you are falling for it either or just "trolling".

@tiwil

3600 RPM HDD?

[Image: FXLThSZl.jpg]

Rotational speed of 3600 RPM was common in the 1980s. And the size of HDDs with 3600 RPM speed were really small compared to today. We're talking partially less than 1 GB of storage. There were HDDs with that RPM with more storage but we're only talking about 80 GB.

Even if your device is 10 years old you are still most likely to have a 5400 RPM HDD. Even today a lot of notebooks still have 5400 RPM 2.5" HDDs to save costs at the price of performance.

3600 RPM HDDs are dead and outdated due to their age. The only ones that are being still sold are very old stock or items for a tech museum.

Like this one:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/HITACHI-DK515C-7...2475496036
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(10-07-2020, 04:45 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: @tiwil

3600 RPM HDD?

[Image: FXLThSZl.jpg]

Rotational speed of 3600 RPM was common in the 1980s. And the size of HDDs with 3600 RPM speed were really small compared to today. We're talking partially less than 1 GB of storage. There were HDDs with that RPM with more storage but we're only talking about 80 GB.

Even if your device is 10 years old you are still most likely to have a 5400 RPM HDD. Even today a lot of notebooks still have 5400 RPM 2.5" HDDs to save costs at the price of performance.

3600 RPM HDDs are dead and outdated due to their age. The only ones that are being still sold are very old stock or items for a tech museum.

Like this one:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/HITACHI-DK515C-7...2475496036

Whoops. I actually forgot which RPM my HDD is. The current HDD in the market is 7200rpm, so I think it probably half of it, so I say 3600rpm Tongue. Just checked and can confirm it's 5400rpm, apologies Tongue. It still run Windows 10 OK even considering it's an 8 years old laptop, never get any kind service or anything. I have downgraded to Windows 7, but it's like nothing different. Most application cannot run in Windows 7 too right now and the speed is not so fast, just OK. So I decided to get back to Windows 10 after taking using Windows 7 for a month or two.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
I mean I take it all with a grain of salt, I do the same thing with Apple's update rumors haha. I don't really have a horse in this Windows race, so I just like to see what people conceptualize and what happens to come of it all.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
People genuinely expecting a Windows 11 still don't have a clue of what Windows 10 actually is, after all this time in service !!!

So, please read this 2015 article as a refresher on the subject:
Microsoft confirms there will be no Windows 11

Quote:Microsoft says that Windows 10 will be its final release of the iconic operating system that's installed on over 90% of computers.

"Right now we're releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we're all still working on Windows 10," said Jerry Nixon, Microsoft's developer evangelist, at the Ignite tech conference.

Instead of releasing an entirely new and different version of its desktop OS every few years, Microsoft is taking an Apple-like approach to subsequent Windows releases, standardizing on Windows 10 as its Cupertino-based rival has done with OS X. Under this new strategy, Microsoft will deliver regular improvements to Windows through software updates.

It's called the agile approach at the OS level.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(10-07-2020, 04:45 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: Not sure if you are falling for it either or just "trolling".
 I fell for it, lock stock and barrel.  I really thought there was a Windows 11 in the pipeline.  I probably should have Googled it.  Let me do it now.  Wink

And here it is with authority from TechRadar - and that was in 2015  Blush   :

TechRadar Wrote:Microsoft confirms there will be no Windows 11
https://www.techradar.com/news/software/...11-1293309
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Looks like we've gone off topic on Windows 10 Experience.  Am closing this discussion for now.  If any one wishes to add their experience in using Windows 10, please PM me to re-open the thread.
Terminal
Have re-opened this discussion.

I'm a late comer to Windows 10.  I decided to embark on this journey very carefully first by loading it on an old ThinkPad X201 Laptop that had Windows 7 Professional on it.  I hadn't used it in a very long time, and had purchased it second hand in 2016 for experimentation, but never got to that point as this was a pristine Windows 7 with almost no updates on it.  It felt like sacrilege to change anything in it.

Any way, after lots of research during the course of which I learned that to upgrade to Windows 10 was still free, this is exactly how the experience turned out for me.  All of the steps are well documented every where.  You just need to Google it and the tutorials will direct you to Microsoft Download page for downloading the Microsoft Download Media tool.  And then it's effortless really, and just lots of patience and waiting.  To be honest, if I compare my first Windows 7 download of many years ago, and Windows 10, I have to give kudos to Microsoft for having it so well sorted out with Windows 10.  All of it has been effortless.  I didn't have to load my License Key.  Even though I did have it ready as I made sure I had it on hand before I started the process.  But in the end my Windows 10 got automatically activated by Microsoft, probably through the mother board. With my Windows 7 Professional Key. I now have a copy of Windows 10 Professional on my laptop - all of it done by Microsoft during the installation process.

With the upgrade I didn't get a choice for not having Cortana.  Toms Guide gave the impression one could disable it, but everything was greyed out for me.  So I went for the very lethal solution of the Windows PowerShell route as Administrator, and was happy to see it was gone when I looked in the list of Apps again. Glad there is that option for Windows 10 apps one really wants to remove. I was hoping to do the same with Microsoft Edge, as I thought it was impertinent when it popped up in my face when I first started Windows 10.  I did find a similar PowerShell tutorial, but then the author recommended to keep Microsoft Edge and just not make it the default browser.  I then understood, that this is possibly the same as Explorer used to be relative to plenty of apps that actually required Explorer for their existence. Removing it may not be such a good idea and create issues with other apps. So I took the author's advice, BUT then immediately went into the MS Edge settings to untick what needed to be unticked.

When I upgraded to Windows 10 I deliberately chose to keep the apps and data of my Windows 7, just as an experiment to see how Windows 10 would deal with it.  I did remove the security and anti-malware software just in case, and had minimal apps.  But they were all successfully loaded - so far any way.  I still have to work with it to check through all of my apps.  Feels strange to call them apps now as with Windows 7 of course they were still software.

What is amazing to me is that I'm not really that upset with my Windows 10 experience yet.  Like I thought I would hate the absence of the Windows 7 start menu, but I think the Windows 10 start menu is much better. Gives me almost the feeling of my Tablet. Once one has a hang of the Settings setup, it gets easier.  And of course for anything I need I can just Google Google.  That is one good thing to be a latecomer.  Every one has gone through the pain and is offering a tutorial to help others who go through similar issues.  I had full benefit of that tonight, and I'm sure will continue to have this support while I'm working my way through all of what Windows 10 has to offer and stumbling blocks that need to be removed out of the way. Such as updates to be brought under control.

I'm giving myself a few weeks on this, and once I'm ready and used to Windows 10, I'll upgrade my desktop computer as well.  I may go for a fresh install though instead of an upgrade.
Terminal
I was wondering about asking this topic to be opened or start a new thread. I think it's good it's reopened. This is one topic I think can go on like the movie thread and TV Series thread. Because most of us using Windows. I ended up installing Windows 7 again at the beginning of the year when I created this topic. Now my OS seems to have gotten to a point I need to do a reinstallation. I do want to try Windows 10 since we can't stay with Windows 7 forever though how much we like it.

I do have a Limited Internet connection so I want to Disable Telemetry and Data Collection. Also to stop auto-upgrade. I  was checking several Debloat scripts but Also I found a few articles which say using these scripts might give you various long-term problems. I'm totally new to this whole thing so still, I'm trying to figure what's best. Also, it seems only Window 10 Enterprise Edition has options to disable most of the telemetry.

@deanhills

Which Windows 10 edition have you installed?

Also did you noticed a bandwidth surge?

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(11-05-2020, 06:32 AM)xdude Wrote: @deanhills

Which Windows 10 edition have you installed?

Also did you noticed a bandwidth surge?

Agreed.  Nice to receive feedback @xdude as I definitely have Windows 10 on my mind.  Regarding which Windows 10 I installed, I didn't feel as though I installed a specific edition of Windows 10.  Microsoft did this.  Since I was upgrading rather than doing a clean install.  I had a Windows 7 Professional on the laptop before, so Microsoft gave me Windows 10 Professional.  Without even asking me for a Key.  Apparently Windows upgrade gets the key from the Motherboard.  

You wouldn't believe the number of tutorials I have been working through. Most of them on upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 by loading the Download Tool from Microsoft Website.  The tutorial below is for a clean install which is loading a Windows ISO on a Flash Disk.   During the clean install the author used the Windows Key of the previous installation of Windows at the beginning of the install - and Microsoft activated it.  So clean install is also a good way of doing it with a Windows 7 or 8 Key.  Here is a copy of his tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YIGSiZ7huU

Tonight I've been doing so well with the experimental upgrade, wow, I wonder whether it is really necessary to do a clean install. Yes, I did notice a bandwidth surge, but I thought it had to do with all of the hard work of the updates that had to be loaded during the upgrade.  I'll focus a little more on the bandwidth stats when I continue with the experimental install tomorrow.  Tonight I loaded all of the apps I have currently on my Desktop, and each and every one of them installed like a breeze.  

I'm still waiting for something to happen thought with updates being in my way and none of that has happened to me tonight .... ? I want to see whether Windows 10 will install new updates in the same way they were downloaded and installed during the upgrade.  Like seamlessly.  If things go as well as they have for a little longer, I may use the upgrade route for my desktop too.  But I probably will delete all of the apps that I have on my desktop now. I had very little content on the experimental upgrade laptop Like I found that if the app doesn't work for Windows 10, then Microsoft likes to create a notification that it didn't work.  I want to prevent too many notifications to clutter the system.  So in addition to Microsoft Security Solutions and Malwarebytes, I may delete all of my apps on my computer and install them fresh after the upgrade.  Wonder whether it will go as smoothly as my ThinkPad Laptop. Time will tell. Tongue

Checking through all of the many tutorials last week I thought that maybe much later in a few months time, I may go for a Windows 10 reset with deleting everything.  I'll first do this on the experimental laptop and see whether it makes a big difference.  I'd have done it sooner, but once one does a reset then one loses the option to downgrade back to Windows 7.  The reset/recovery route seems to be a good way of cleaning the installation and also getting rid of redundant files that are cluttering the system. On the other hand I'd also like to find out if one does that whether it may affect the Key in the Mother Board.
Terminal
Pages (9): Jump to page 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting